We promote health and well-being by creating and disseminating knowledge about physical activity and healthy living to improve the lives of citizens of Iowa, the United States, and the world.
We will be among the best kinesiology departments in creating knowledge, translating discoveries into practice, and preparing individuals with expertise in the science of physical activity as it impacts health and well-being.
One: enhance academic excellence in learning and teaching
- Excel in educating doctoral kinesiologists who are scholars and teachers.
- Prepare Master’s students in the scientific process and for advanced study or for leadership positions in their field.
- Prepare Bachelor’s students in the science of physical activity and health, and the application of this science to professional endeavors.
- Promote excellence in learning and teaching.
Two: enhance excellence and translation of research and discovery
- Increase impact and visibility of research and other scholarly activities.
- Enhance attainment of extramural funds from local, regional, and national agencies.
- Increase support for cutting-edge research.
Three: enhance impact of outreach and service
- Maintain and pursue outreach opportunities on campus and across the state.
- Maintain, pursue and support professional service opportunities.
- Pursue outreach opportunities that enhance the financial stability of the Department.
Four: expand recruitment, improve retention and increase diversity of students, staff & faculty
- Expand recruitment activities that target excellent students, faculty and staff.
- Improve retention of students, faculty, and staff.
- Increase international, multicultural and other under represented groups.
Five: foster an atmosphere of integrity, respect and collegiality
- Cultivate departmental norms of high ethics.
- Create a culture of communication and mutual respect.
- Foster collegiality between graduate students, faculty, staff, retired faculty and alumni.