Meet your 2020-2021 Transfer Student Learning Community Peer Mentors!

Caitriana

Class: Senior
Major: Kinesiology and health
Option(s): Exercise science
Hometown: Ames, Iowa
About me: Hi everyone! My name is Cait and I am from Ames! A fun fact about me is that I am afraid of mascots! At Iowa State, I am involved with a club called CHAARG which is targeted to help empower women who want to better their fitness goals. As a group we sign up for classes at state gym and have been invited to Max Oxygen Crossfit and a couple other gyms around Ames. In the past I have worked with Jenny Smith-Wittrock’s Summer Youth Fitness Program which is super fun because I got to spend my summer working with kids of all ages and help them stay active. I look forward to meeting you and welcome you to Kinesiology!

Dena

Class: Junior
Option(s): Pre-physician assistant
Hometown: Itasca, Illinois
About me: My favorite food is sushi and I love anything sweet. I enjoy studying in the library or at any local cafe. Cafe milo is off campus but has a very soothing environment. If I could have a super power it would be to be invisible. One of my favorite classes thus far has been HDFS 276 which is human sexuality.

Jessica

Class: Sophomore
Option(s): Community and public health
Hometown: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
About me: Hey, my name is Jessie. At Iowa State, I am involved in the Greek Community and Dance Marathon. I spend most of my time outside and working out. I love to watch sports and hang out with friends and family.

Mary

Class: Junior
Option(s): Pre-physical therapy
Hometown: Cedar Falls, Iowa
About me: Some fun facts: I love food so my favorite one really changes day to day! I love Iowa State’s campus and one of my favorite things is to just walk around campus in the fall when the leaves are changing colors – it’s so beautiful! My favorite place on campus is Morrill Hall in the basement. There’s a timeline of ISU down there and I think it’s pretty fascinating. My favorite place to study is the MU because there’s a room for every atmosphere/mood – plus – there’s food! I love to watercolor and make playlists in my free time!

McKenna

Option(s): Pre-physician assistant
Hometown: Grimes, Iowa
About me: I have just recently adopted a kitten named Theodore! I also love binge watching shows like South Park and Grey’s Anatomy. My favorite class that I have taken so far is HS 350: Human Diseases, I took the class Spring 2020 when COVID-19 started to pop up and it helped me become more prepared for the pandemic because I knew the pathology of the virus.

Mikalyn

Hometown: Blaine, Minnesota
About me: I have had so many opportunities here at Iowa State. My freshman year, I tutored and was an undergraduate research assistant for the CardioRACE lab on campus. The past two years I have spent most of my time with the ISU dance team, whether it’s in studio practicing for competitions, or on the sidelines cheering for the Cyclones! I have been a dancer since I was 2 years old, it’s always been my favorite outside of class hobby! This will be my first year as a peer mentor and I’m very excited to meet the new kinesiology students!

Sydney

Hometown: Carroll, Iowa
About me: I have been a cyclone my entire life; I’ve been going to Iowa State Basketball games for as long as I can remember. My favorite class at Iowa State so far has been KIN 366 (exercise psychology) because it was super interesting and it was really fun to see how psychology and health/exercise intertwine! I like watching Netflix, especially Grey’s Anatomy and Criminal Minds. I enjoy the outdoors like fishing, hiking and kayaking. When I’m not in Ames, I’m usually at home spending time with my family and my two dogs.

Zach Schreck

Major:  Kinesiology and health
Hometown: Ankeny, Iowa
About me: A couple interesting facts about me are I love to play soccer, and if I could have any superpower, it would be the ability to fly. I also have changed majors three times, and I finally found something I love!

Need More Information?

Janessa Boley and Heather Robinson

Janessa Boley:
203A Forker
534 Wallace Rd
Ames, IA 50011-4008
515-294-3100
boleyj@iastate.edu

Heather Robinson:
205 Forker
534 Wallace Rd
Ames, IA 50011-4008