Help Set Yourself Apart
Many organizations and agencies offer a health coach certificate, but our program provides you with a more comprehensive foundation in nutrition, exercise, and motivational coaching, helping you better compete for employment opportunities after graduation.
Health Coach Certificate Requirements
- Required coursework (23 credits), plus prerequisites
- A minimum of 12 credits are taken at Iowa State University.
- A minimum of 9 credits are not used to meet any other department, college, or university requirements for the bachelor’s degree except to satisfy the total credit requirement for graduation and to meet credit the requirement in courses numbered 300 or above.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 earned in courses taken at Iowa State University.
Food Science and Human Nutrition
- FSHN 265: Nutrition for Active and Healthy Lifestyles (3 credits)
- Prerequisites: FSHN 264 (Prerequisites FSHN 167, CHEM 163/163L, BIOL 211)
- FSHN 364: Nutrition and Prevention of Chronic Disease (3 credits) OR FSHN 365 Obesity and Weight Management (3 credits)
- Prerequisites: BIOL 256/256L
- FSHN 361: Nutrition and Health Assessment (2 credits)
- Prerequisites: FSHN 265
- KIN 458: Principles of Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription (4 credits)
- Prerequisites: BIOL 255, BIOL 255L, BIOL 256, BIOL 256L, KIN 358
- KIN 467: Exercise and Health: Behavior Change (3 credits)
- Prerequisites: KIN 366 or equivalent
- PSYCH 422: Counseling Theories and Techniques (3 credits)
- Prerequisites: 3 courses in psychology
- PSYCH 485: Health Psychology (3 credits)
- Prerequisites: Junior classification; 6 credits in psychology
- Practicum experience from FSHN 495 OR KIN 494A and KIN 494B (2 credits)
To apply, complete this application form (PDF) and submit to the academic advisor in your major’s department.
Meet students in your major, network with upperclassmen, and gain valuable skills outside the classroom by joining a learning community. Check out your options and choose which best fits your major.
Food Science and Human Nutrition contacts