Completed Undergraduate Degree Admission and Application Information
The admission and application information below is for students who have completed or will soon complete their undergraduate degree from another institution. The information also applies to Iowa State students who are not in the pre-athletic training program.
If you are a current Iowa State student in the pre-athletic training program, your admission information can be found here.
Admission Criteria for the Athletic Training Program
- Completed B.A. or B.S. from an accredited institution.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Earn a C or better in the following undergraduate prerequisite courses:
- Biology with lab
- Chemistry with lab
- Exercise Physiology with lab (Lab not required if not offered by institution)
- Human Anatomy with lab
- Human Physiology with lab
- Introduction to Psychology or Developmental Psychology
- Observe a minimum of 125 clinical hours under the supervision of a certified licensed athletic trainer. These clinical hours must be documented and signed off by the certified athletic trainer using the Athletic Training Observation Hours Form (non pre-athletic training and transfer students only).
Application Procedures and Deadlines
Admission to the master of athletic training program is competitive. Applicants are expected to meet technical standards, pass a background check, and comply with health and safety standards, including immunization requirements. Completion of the application process does not guarantee admission to the program.
Applications are due December 15 each year. Following the Dec. 15 deadline, admission will be rolling. Coursework for the graduate program begins during the summer session in mid-May. A personal interview will also be required. Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the Graduate College.
- Apply online via ISU Admissions for the graduate program.
- Submit three letters of recommendation (two of the letters from a medical professional, academic reference, or character reference; and the remaining letter coming from a certified athletic trainer).
- Upload the following documents via the application process:
- Submit immunization record to ISU for admission.
- Applicants whose primary language is not English must meet the English proficiency requirement by any one of the options listed on the ISU Graduate College admission site.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials via the online application process, directly to the Graduate College:
application to Iowa State University (fee required),
and three letters of recommendation.
You will receive an email from the athletic training program director as soon as all materials have been reviewed and completion of interviews.
Acceptance procedures (must be completed within 60 days of receipt of acceptance email notification):
- Responding (accept or deny) to the athletic training program director’s acceptance email.
- Before beginning clinical rotations in the summer must have documented and submitted to the Coordinator of Clinical Education the following:
- Proof of immunizations for MMR, Tdap, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and Influenza.
- Negative TB Skin test.
- Negative 9-panel drug screen (can be performed at McFarland Occupational Medicine with appointment approximate cost of $50).
- Proof of health insurance.
- Proof of Emergency Cardiac Care (ECC) Certification that includes adult CPR, pediatric CPR, second rescuer CPR, AED, airway obstruction and barrier devices.
- Professional liability insurance (purchased through Iowa State University with student course fee).
- Criminal Background Check (will be completed by Iowa State University no cost).
- Must become a National Athletic Trainers’ Association member (annual cost $80).