We’ll Prepare You for a Healthy Career
The marketplace for our graduates has expanded dramatically in the last ten years. In addition to preparing students for careers in teaching and coaching, we offer programs in exercise science, health promotion, physical activity, and athletic training to meet the expanding needs of our society, which is increasingly interested in health and fitness.
We are an exceptional track for those preparing for the following professional programs:
- Physical therapy
- Human medicine
- Physical assistant
- And more!
As a result of our expanded curriculum, our graduates are well-prepared for a variety of professional pursuits. Flexible and well-designed, our program will allow you to exercise your options in what career path you choose.
Kinesiology academic advisors and the staff in the College of Human Sciences Career Services office are here to help you, whether you’re looking to gain experience through an internship, need help preparing for an interview, about to graduate and looking for your first full-time job, or preparing for graduate/professional school.
Kinesiology Advising Services
The following services are available through the kinesiology advising offices:
- KIN 252 is a one-credit class which all students complete during their first year in the department. This course is structured to help the student explore and learn the disciplines in Kinesiology.
- Kinesiology career forums host professionals from a variety of career fields who talk about and answer questions regarding jobs and current market trends. Videotapes of these forums are available for check-out in Rm 203 Forker Building.
- Professional and alumni contact files are available to connect students with professionals in the field.
- KIN 253 is a one-credit class and will help students explore careers and provide academic planning assistance and advice.
- Long term planning helps the student create an extended plan for taking classes and helps the student graduate in four years.
- Information is available regarding minors, second teaching areas, and important elective course choices to better prepare the student for the job market.
Preparation for Professional School
- KIN 242 is a course which assists students in the preparation of relevant materials for professional and graduate school admission.
- Professional/Grad school action plans are created by each student.
Job search/placement assistance
- KIN/HS 385 is a course which assists the student in job and field experience search techniques and the preparation of a resume and related materials.
- Agency resource files are available with 800+ agencies on file. A notebook of useful websites for job exploration is also maintained.
- A Jobs Board is maintained in the lower lounge of the Forker Building with listings of professional opportunities and conferences as well as full-time, part-time, and summer jobs listings.
- CyHire — Iowa State University’s CyHire — is a centralized job posting service that provides all qualified Iowa State students and alumni equal access to employment opportunities.