How to Qualify for and Obtain a Pre-Internship
All students in the ES, CPH, and PAHP options are required to complete a one or two credit pre-internship for the purpose of assisting students in defining a possible career path. This early experience is designed to provide an opportunity to shadow/assist Kinesiology professionals with duties that align with a specific curriculum.
Students who have previously or are currently enrolled in KIN 258 should begin researching possible pre-internship sites. Students should choose a pre-internship site that aligns with a specific option curriculum. Some local site examples include:
Exercise Science: ISU Recreation Services– Fitness (click here for details), Ames Fitness Center, Surefire Fitness, City of Ames Fitness, MiHealth and Fitness, Premier Athlete Training at The Athletic Club of Ames, ISU Strength and Conditioning, The Factory Strength and Conditioning, Nevada Barbell, Ignite Yoga, Mary Greeley Medical Center, Story County Medical, Boone County Hospital
Students are not limited to local options, and may complete this required experience during the Spring, Summer, of Fall semester. If a student chooses to complete the experience in the summer, they will register for academic credit (and complete all associated academic assignments) during the subsequent fall semester.
- Research and contact potential sites of interest
- Confirm the pre-internship experience with a supervisor/mentor at the desired site
- Complete the pre-internship acceptance form
- Once the site is approved, the student will be registered by their academic advisor for 1 or 2 credits of KIN 285 or HS 285 and will also be enrolled in the Canvas course (students who complete the pre-internship experience in the summer, will be registered in the subsequent Fall Canvas course)
- Complete ALL required academic assignments